Gamecube Microcon Wireless Controller

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Gamecube Microcon Wireless Controller (Colors May Vary)


By J. Fulmer "jfulmer" -  reviews


I bought this as a Gamecube and Virtual Console controller for my Wii, with which it works very well. The controller functions right out of the box, is nicely responsive, and just works. Most of the buttons are solid enough, the thumb stick works very well, and the price was certainly right. The grips are hard plastic and the controller itself is lightweight.



After using it for a few weeks (and through two games, the excellent 'Beyond Good and Evil' and 'Metroid Prime'), I have two criticisms, both of which have been mentioned in Amazon reviews.





First, it is very small for an adult. While I don't worry too much about it being hard to reach the 'start' button (I'd rather not accidentally hit it, so I consider this a 'feature'), the A/B/X/Y buttons are very close together for my big thumb, and I'm always accidentally hitting the X button instead of the Y. The Left and Right shoulder buttons feel cheap, but they work well.



Second, after the beating I've given it with 'Metroid Prime', The analog sticks are (reasonably enough) starting to drift a bit.. (ED. After a bit of playing, I found if you unplug the wireless plug from the Wii, and then plug it back in, the controller recalibrates. Putting the Wii in standby mode doesn't do it, since the gamecube ports are still powered. Also, you must make sure the controller is switched on before you start the gamecube game, or the sticks will be off..)



All and all, it seems to be a decent product and unless the stick problem gets worse (ED. It's fine..) I'd definitely buy it for a younger child to beat up. Or if an extra $10 makes a big difference.



Edit, 4 months later: As time goes on, the joystick portion becomes less and less accurate and drifts badly.I'd drop my rating down to a 2 if I could. Good price, but not very rugged at all.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Games Online

Custom Search